Monday, March 21, 2011

Pet Sounds


The Beach Boy's Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums and was way ahead of it's time.  Brian Wilson was inspired by the Beatles album Rubber Soul.  "I really wasn't quite ready for the unity. It felt like it all belonged together. Rubber Soul was a collection of songs ... that somehow went together like no album ever made before, and I was very impressed. I said, "That's it. I really am challenged to do a great album." While the Beach Boys were on tour in 1965, Brian worked on the album and hired Tony Asher to help write songs. All the songs on Pet Sounds flowed together and seemed like they had a theme, and unusual instruments were used on most of the songs, you can even hear Brian's dogs barking on Caroline No. The cover of the album was taken at the San Diego Zoo.  Although it wasn't the Beach Boys greatest selling album, it's considered one of the greatest and most influential albums.  It also influenced the Beatles legendary Sgt Peppers Album.  "It was Pet Sounds that blew me out of the water. I love the album so much. I've just bought my kids each a copy of it for their education in life ... I figure no one is educated musically 'til they've heard that album ... I love the orchestra, the arrangements ... it may be going overboard to say it's the classic of the century ... but to me, it certainly is a total, classic record that is unbeatable in many ways ... I've often played Pet Sounds and cried. I played it to John [Lennon] so much that it would be difficult for him to escape the influence ... it was the record of the time. The thing that really made me sit up and take notice was the bass lines ... and also, putting melodies in the bass line. That I think was probably the big influence that set me thinking when we recorded Pepper, it set me off on a period I had then for a couple of years of nearly always writing quite melodic bass lines. "God Only Knows" is a big favourite of mine ... very emotional, always a bit of a choker for me, that one. On "You Still Believe in Me", I love that melody - that kills me ... that's my favourite, I think ... it's so beautiful right at the end ... comes surging back in these multi-coloured harmonies ... sends shivers up my spine"
-Paul McCartney

The Songs
Side one
You Still Believe In Me
That's Not Me
Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
I'm Waiting For The Day
Let's Go Away For A While
Side Two
I Know There's An Answer
Here Today
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
Pet Sounds


"Sloop John B."



"I Just Wasn't Made For These Times"



"Wouldn't It Be Nice"


(photos-last.fm, wikipedia, videos-youtube)


No comments: